With the Lunar New year around the corner, I thought a little fun with our tea was in order. Last year my boss and I experimented with infusing alcohol with different teas (yes and it was the best end of shift ever). We had a whole prohibition ladies night event and all. The favorite was Baileys and earl gray. But I wanted to experiment with something a little outside of the norm for my hometown (just for me, and if you make it you too).
Sencha infused Sake was what came out of my experiments. The two go so well together that it, that it is the perfect pairing with dumplings for the New Year. So either head over to pick up some sake or even try an experiment of your own.
All you need is
A Mason jar
Tea of your choice
All you need to do is
1. Measure 1 tsp per 1/2 cup of liquor into a clean mason jar
eg. 500ml (2 cups) needs 4 tsp
2. Seal up jar and label with date and mix
3. Store in the fridge. Leave traditional teas for no longer than 24 hours, herbal blends can be left to desired taste
4. Strain and serve
- Drink within 2-4 days, for greener teas
- More oxidized teas seem to last longer when infused into liquor
- Give a bottle as a gift to other tea lovers
- Bring to a party (why not)
- Finally, experiment. Adjust to your taste just as you would with normal tea
This is a great way to use up old tea that has been sitting around or you want to branch out a bit with. A final idea for this is to use the blend in mixed drinks, I personally think that a touch of a fruit juice or fruity liquor would go well with the sencha/sake. Giving it a unique new dimension to its natural vegetal notes.
Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram or twitter if you try this out. Keep steeping everyone.